Monday, November 9, 2009

Cooking Shows Are Not My Style

Cooking shows are so overrated. Anyone else with me? This weekend I actually fell asleep watching one. Food channels really bore the crap out of me.

*I need to be entertained*. Yelling BAM! at your salt doesn't do it for me. Cussing out your chefs-in-training doesn't humor me at all. And describing your ingredients as textures like they're wallpaper or something doesn't make me hungry.

I mean, if you possess the skills to cook/bake/some-other-cooking-adjective-here then I'm sure these shows are super helpful with their fancy, gourmet recipes chock-full of ingredients I've never heard of, let alone own. But for the more... novice chef like myself, watching these chefs chop/dice/some-other-cutting-adjective-here is totally a bore.

You can't smell the food, they don't even cook in real-time (ingredients into the pot to simmer and WHAM! they pull out an already simmered sauce to fit the 30 minutes time slot) and worst of all, you can't taste any of it. WHAT'S THE POINT?

I know, I know. Who am I to criticize world-renowned chefs when, no, I can't cook but my apron is fabulous... BUT i CAN do something they can't! I can start a mean kitchen fire, make a terrific mess, explode various meals with such force they leave holes in the ceiling and grind up a fork in the garbage disposal like it's my job. That my friends is *talent*.


And while my meals might not always ever turn out, there is at least some action! and drama! and often, comedy! happening in MY kitchen.

Anyone want to come over for Thankgiving dinner?
I won't even charge you admission to see my cooking in action. :)


14 comments:

  1. Half of those chefs annoy me to my absolute CORE!!
    So I am right there with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! But you have to check out Challenge on Food Network! I'm obsessed!!! It is a cake decorating contest! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love this post :) I've never understood why people love those shows so much, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah, cookiing shows don't entertain me at all either. But my brother who really enjoys cooking (and is actually good at cooking) really enjoys watching them. I don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only cooking show that I like is Paula Deen's. I can't sit through any of the others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to come see your kitchen!! haha!

    And I agree! Most cooking shows bore the heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I COMPLETELY agree with you on this. I'm cooking challenged and those shows only make me feel worse about myself when watching them.
    The only food shows worth watching are the cake decorating ones...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too hate cooking shows, BORING! I do love to cook and although I have had some not so delicious meals turn out, all in all I enjoy it. I will bring the alcoholic bevies for Thanksgiving and watch this show go down, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on that one, I think cooking shows are pretty boring ! It's not that I don't like cooking, cause I do. But I don't see the point in watching someone else cook on TV, I'd rather just go bake real food I can actually eat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are hilarious! I love cooking and baking but I don't like cooking shows. 30 Minute Meals? Right I could cook in 30 min if I had all my ingredients chopped diced and measured out for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha!! you are too funny!
    i love the cooking channel, i also often like to watch it to fall asleep because it is not that entertaining puts me straight to sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just talking about this to someone the other day... the cooking segments on shows mean nothing to me. I don't follow them, or write down the recipes, half of the time I tune them out or change the channel. I've always wondered if it was just me and my lack of cooking, or if other people actually felt the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I can't cook but my apron is fabulous" Classic!

    I love to cook, but I completely agree that a lot of those shows are so unrealistic and ridiculous. Or if not, boring and dry as all get out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dont watch many cooking shows but i do look giada! I agree.. the BAM doesnt do it for me hah

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post show it some love! Comments make me happy :-)